UGC has the unique distinction of being the only grant-giving agency in the country which has been vested with two responsibilities: that of providing funds and that of coordination, determination and maintenance of standards in institutions of higher education.
The UGC’s mandate includes:
- Promoting and coordinating university education.
- Determining and maintaining standards of teaching, examination and research in universities.
- Framing regulations on minimum standards of education.
- Monitoring developments in the field of collegiate and university education; disbursing grants to the universities and colleges.
- Serving as a vital link between the Union and state governments and institutions of higher learning.
- Advising the Central and State governments on the measures necessary for improvement of university education.
Recent Notification issued by UGC:
30.06.2016 : UGC Caution Notice about Fake Universities
29.04.2016 : UGC letter reg.: Ph.D. Course in Yoga
07.04.2016 : UGC Letter reg.: Use of Energy Efficient Appliances
16.03.2016 : UGC Letter reg.: Vigilance Awareness Week